Saturday 13 January 2018

Thanks Again! by Sheena Wilkinson

#StarByStarThankYous



I’ve already announced this project on The History Girls (http://the-history-girls.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/words-as-well-as-deeds-by-sheena.html) but I make no apologies for doing it again, as it launches tomorrow and I’m really excited about it!

My novel Star By Star is about the 1918 general election, when women voted for the first time in this country. Stella, the main character, has been brought up by suffragettes, and on election day, though she’s too young to vote herself, she tries to show her gratitude by doing all in her power to get one woman to the polling station, despite events conspiring against her.


Throughout this year I’m taking Stella’s example and thanking some of the women whose lives and work and courage have made life better for all of us. I’ll be posting a specially designed Star By Star postcard on the Little Island Blog on the 14th of every month, culminating with the centenary of the election on 14th December.

Who will I thank? You’ll have to go to www.littleisland.ie to find out!

But it’s not just about me: anyone can get involved in the project. We’ll be distributing the postcards to selected bookshops and schools in the hope that as many people as possible will join us to say thank you to the inspirational women from history, from literature and from our own lives. Look out for the Star By Star postcards, but if you can’t find them, don’t worry: any postcard will do. 

Share your Thank Yous on Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #StarByStarThankYous, and remember to tag me (@sheenawriter) and Little Island (@LittleIslandBks)

Check out the Little Island blog tomorrow, 14 January, for full details, and to see my first #StarByStarThankYou.


No comments: